My father and I finally arrived in Lisbon, Portugal on Tuesday July 2, after a short jaunt/layover in Boston. During our flight over we mostly slept... a lot... I must say one of the best things about flying internationally, is being woken up by a lady pushing a tray of food in front of your face, yes please! Also, surprisingly... The food on Sata airlines was very tasty.

We picked up our luggage from baggage claim, thankful that our backpacks actually made it without being lost in transit. Then we made our way to the metro and expertly navigated our way to Home Hostel in Lisbon, Portugal. For only 16 euro a night, in an eight person dorm, we get many luxuries. It's no wonder this hostel is the 2013 winner of the best medium hostel in the world!

I was so excited, I was meeting my friend Natasha here, whom I haven't seen in well over a year! I think I can count on two hands the number of times we've hung out in person, but still, I count her among one of my best friends. I was so excited to find her sitting there in the lounge waiting for my arrival.

Not too long after settling in, a young man barged into the hostel asking if we would like a free walking tour of the city. Of course we were exhausted from jet lag, but were also very interested in this as it would help us to not only see parts of the city but also to get our bearings in this new place.

The tour was really interesting, we went and wandered around the old part of the city and the nearby castle, and learned that we missed out on a huge celebration of the saints only two days prior. Boo. We also learned that the old part of town, is called this because during the Great Lisbon Earthquake of 1755, 85% of the city was destroyed and had to be rebuilt except for this section of the city.

We then wandered around looking for our first Portuguese meal. I had a really tender chicken in sauce with rice and.. French fries. Haha, the Portuguese love their French fries! Welp! I'm exhausted, so goodnight and until next time!

Budget for the day (in Euros)

Hostel ------------------------ 16,00
Dinner ------------------------ 7,00

Total -------------------------- 23,00

 


Share/Bookmark

Leave a Reply